Why Isn’t My Natural Hair Regimen Working?
If you have asked yourself this question chances are you are probably getting frustrated and about to do something really rash! Let me guess either you are checking the ground for a soft spot and you are about to hop off this “Natural Hair Bandwagon” ! Or you are seeing letters the old “BC” big chop? Maybe just maybe you are a little less extreme than most and you are just going to get braids and wait it out?
Guess what if you get braids they have to come out sometime. The “BC” will soon grow back. And even if you go back to the creamy crack, the thoughts of what could have been will only lead you back down the natural hair highway only now you will be starting from less than zero.
Well, maybe not that bad, but none the less you already made the decision to start on this path so let me see if we can get you on track!
The good news is more than likely the solution to your hair woes is right before you. If you don’t have a regimen this is a great time to start. Below are some of the most common culprits that’s causing you to get frustrated with your natural hair journey. ( Click her to visit our store and get all your haircare needs )
- Hair porosity– this simply means the ability and level at which you hair accepts and holds onto moisture. There are 3 types of hair porosity. Chances are if you are transitioning or if you cannot seem to keep moisture in your hair, your hair has high porosity. The hair cuticles are open so it’s difficult to hold onto moisture. Normal porosity hair accepts most products, doesn’t get overly dry, and keeps a good shine. Low porosity hair is usually very coarse because the hair shaft is so compact , that it’s very difficult for the moisture to penetrate. The upside is when you do find out how to get the moisture in it stays. This type of natural hair is often seen as “ healthy hair” because it seems strong and dense. The porosity of you hair will directly affect the outcome of your wash, style, and overall hair appearance. I hope this didn’t scare you, lol. Don’t worry it’s all correctable!
click the link here to understand what hair porosity is and how you can correct it.
- Consistency- There is no magic formula here. Chances are you’ve spent years relaxing, coloring, locing or doing whatever it was you were doing before you got to this point. So it’s going to take some time and regular consistent care and treatment to bring your hair back to its natural state. This is where you will get the most out of your hair regimen, if you stick to a product, style, and/or care routine it will get easier and you will get better at it. Period, find what works for your hair and dedicate yourself to making it yours!
- Poor diet – Believe it or not what you eat plays a big role in your overall hair health and appearance. Drinking plenty of water is good all around, and great for your hair hydration. I’m not against the hair vitamins but I think you should get them from your food. I guess this is why a lot of naturalistas eventually become vegetarian 😉
- Too much too soon – Just as with everything else in life it’s best to be realistic about your hair goals and limitations. For an extreme personality such as myself, it’s natural to want it all right away, but as I said earlier it took years to get to this point and its going to take sometime to get back to center.
- The Vlogger Myth – Your hair is never going to look like theirs! Lol, No disrespect intended, most of the Vloggers I watched were very skilled and entertaining at taking care of their own hair. They made everything look so easy. The problem was almost none of them had hair like mine. Also most of them had their hair well trained and conditioned prior to starting the style. Factor in the editing, do overs, experience and their hair doesn’t look like that either! No just kidding, but what I’m really trying to say is, you can’t expect your hair to look like anyone else’s but yours. And if you keep trying to do every style, use every product, jump on every promotion you are going to miss your hit. By all means if something doesn’t work change it, but don’t expect for your fifth grade style to look like someone else’s high school. Most Vloggers are what we call expert learners so they’ve learned to perfect that which they do.
So all in all make a commitment to good hair health, not length, trend, or style and you will be on the Road to Hairvana quicker than you know it!
As always we welcome your comments and questions. Please like our Facebook, follow us on Twitter and Instagram, and have a happy healthy headspace!
See Ya Curlfriend