Yes, it’s finally starting to feel like Fall! So you know what that means, the best of the best in fashion! Only Fall allows us to rock our cutest wears layered upon layer. This Fall one of the things your going to see is daytime sequins. Who knew you could rock a sequin dress with almost knee boots 😜 and an Army coat? Well me of course! It’s the ultimate pretty tomboy.
You will see these glitter bombs of sequins on everything, from jeans to sweaters, and yes even on a camouflage dress!
In the spirit of too much is never enough, I went ahead and styled the sequined dress from Ashley Stewart, with some slouch boots, and an Army coat which I got from Lane Bryant. I picked the Steve Madden Camo tote up over the summer on one of my Thrifty Treasure Hunts from Plato’s Closet.
The slouch boots and the Army coat gives the dress just the street cred it needs! If needed I can also style the dress with some tights and pumps for work, or take it all the way to the gutter with some combat boots!
So, I actually wore this same look to church with out the Army coat. I must admit, I love shinny things! I am loving this glitter bomb, daytime sequins trend! Are you feeling it? How are you going to rock it? Or if you are not feeling it, tell us why? Leave a comment and let know! Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more Phattystyle!
Talk to you later, but until then keep on shining! ✨
I remember facing my first summer with natural hair. The thought of sweaty, nappy, unruly hair was the vision I had! I was so used to having relaxed hair, I had no idea what I was going to do. Little did I know that summer was my hair’s best growth season. All I had to do was follow a few easy tips, and this lazy natural was on her way to an easy growth spurt!
Now over the years I’ve added a few more, but here are my Summertime hair care tips to maximize your growth season!
1. Clean Time In Between Time: Keeping your hair clean, and moisturized. This is my number one hair tip. Even if you don’t wash it every week, do a quick Cowash in between your wash sessions.
2. Get Down To The Root Of It: Your hair grows directly from your scalp, so it is important to keep your scalp clean and healthy and free from debris. A healthy scalp is probably one of the most underrated necessities for healthy and or long hair.
3. Let Go Of What’s Not Serving You: Get a fresh trim. Even if you only trim once a year, make it a summer trim. While your hair is growing you don’t want it to be stunted by those dead ends. They are useless!
4. Wet Your Whistle: Drink plenty of water! Very often the summer is dry and hot, so you want to make sure you drink plenty of water. By staying hydrated you are also giving your hair hydration.
5. Aloe There Honey: Use humectants to increase the moisture in your hair. I love natural humectants such as aloe Vera juice, and honey. You can add the aloe vera juice to your spray bottle and spritz your hair at night before bed. Or add some honey to your conditioner. This will add softness and shine like you wouldn’t believe.
6. Soak & Seal: By soaking your hair with clear water and sealing with your favorite oil before swimming, you limit the amount of chlorine or salt water that your hair will absorb. Even though this is a no brainer, I’m just gonna say it anyway wash and condition after swimming alright.
7. Keep It Moving: Get out and get some sun. Go for a walk, or go to a fair or carnival and walk around. The circulation will increase blood flow and encourage healthy hair growth.
8. Style With Ease: Employ protect styles, and easy pony tails and buns. The less pulling the better. If you’re ever going to try a wash n go, this is the time! Layer that product on and let it ride!
9. Don’t Be A Hot Head: It’s impossible to keep your hair healthy if you are burning it out. This means the sun too. If you are going to be out in the hot sun for prolonged periods, make sure you cover your head or use a protective product. Just as you have to protect your skin, your hair needs protection as well.
10. Embrace The Ohm! : This is so underrated! Let the easy breezy summer feel sink in! Enjoy the warm weather. Go to the movies, the music festival, hit as many street fairs as you can fit in. Believe you me, you tresses feel the stresses!
These are our basic Summer time tips to make sure you have happy, healthy, fluffy summer hair! Now go forth and play and slay all day!
“You are altogether beautiful, my darling; there is no flaw in you.”
Song of Songs 4:7 NIV
First and foremost God loves you and
“You were born flawless”
Auntie Oprah likes to say babies come into the world trailing the breath of Angels. They know they are born flawless.
As we grow through life and experiences we get imprinted with images, encounters and other people’s beliefs and ideas which cause us to question our flawless-ness. These people who imprint their beliefs, and fears on our psyche, sometimes think they are doing us a favor.
I’m not just talking about tramatic or drastic things. Sometimes these are subtle consistant themes or words that we hear or are being told that slowly seep into our being. And before you know it, you and self doubt are old roommates!
Self doubt can hold you hostage. Usually there are two extremes. Either you exhaust your self trying to over compensate for your feelings of inadequacy. Or you become paralyzed with fear of failure and never step out on faith.
You end up standing by, questioning every thought and watching everyone else get what God has for them. Sometimes this can ever make you bitter, or worst yet, you become a hater! You hate on any and everything because you can’t find your joy. But all you have to do is realize that it’s you that holds your own self back!
How to have a totally awesome life 👉 ( old post same thoughts)
You need only to make a decision to seek your own happiness!
“Each time we face our fear, we gain strength, courage, and confidence in the doing.” ~Unknown
Here are three steps to embracing your normal:
#1 The first step is to stop comparing yourself to others! Their normal is not your normal. Even identical twins are not completely the same. There is no other human being that has your specific gifts and talents. What God gave you is uniquely created to bring forth your purpose.
#2 Stop questioning yourself! You are more than enough. Don’t let that imposter syndrome make you believe that, what you have is not for you. Consider God’s grace. When you feel undeserving, that’s a reminder to be grateful! God’s Grace has shined upon you. Give God The Glory!
#3 Forget trying to be perfect! I’m not saying don’t do your best, but your best is as perfect as it gets. If you start taking the steps towards your dreams, have faith that God will magnify them. I remember as a young parent, I would have a certain vision in mind that I want to create for my children. I’d get as much as I could, but not the way I had envisioned. So in my mind, I would immediately start thinking of apologies for not being good enough. And before I could open my mouth to apologize, they were thanking me and showing me how grateful they were.
So remember short, tall or bald, you are flawless! Big belly, flat booty,skinny legs, big legs, you are still flawless! Walk in your beauty and embrace your normal!
Love others as you love yourself, but you must first love yourself!
Mrsphatandnaptural Turns 3 years old today! Whoo hoo! I may not be where some have risen to in 3 years, but I’m still here! Over these 3 short years I have found many new friends both online and in person. I’ve attended, held, and hosted many events. I’ve even traveled to 2 states that I had never been to for just to attend Plus Sized Fashion and or Natural Hair events. I’ve have also been featured on a few online sites, namely Essence.com.
Still I’d have to say the biggest “get” from the last 3 years of blogging has to be tapping into a supportive sisterhood that I didn’t even realize existed. They are an encouraging, loving, creative bastion of knowledge and experiences that I can’t seem to go a day without…( okay so I’m a social media junkie) lol. That aside I love being apart of this collective!
As I move forward with Mrsphatandnaptural some things will change. In the spirit of serving those who need what I’m cooking up, I will commit to staying honest, current, and open to God using me. I will continue to give you all the tips tricks and styles of the latest conversation. I will do the product reviews and include you into my battle with this belly! But I will also share with you my love for God and all things good for your soul!
Remember to celebrate yourself! And just know God doesn’t make any mistakes, and that includes you!
Well it’s officially the Summer 17 season. As we begin to slow down and get into the easy breezy summer feel, nothing says summer style like a great protective hair style.
I love protective styles, but I hate how long they take to install. Until now, the crochet technique is back on the scene, and I’m oh so happy!
The crochet technique is an old trend that’s become new again. I used to wear crochet braids back in the late 90’s ( Yeah I know some of ya’ll were just babes). But today’s styles and techniques are so much more advanced. The whole idea of the crochet braids is it allows you to achieve a great looking protective style in a fraction of the time. There are so many styles and techniques out there today, but it’s just like us lazy naturals to find a short cut, to the short cut, lol. We’ve gathered 5 of the most popular styles and found them in a crochet technique which not only slices the installation time, it also makes it easy for any and everybody to be able to do it.
1. Now this one is for the beginner ! It only requires that you can plat your hair.
Easy 6 plat crochet
2. This one is similar to number one but it takes a little more skill.
No Cornrow Crochet
3. How about box braids? I know, what a time saver!
Box Braid Crochet
4. This one is not so easy, but it’s easier and takes less skill than other techniques that I’ve seen. This is my favorite look of all five.
5. This is a style that I was shocked to see in a crochet technique, but after I watched the videos I couldn’t wait to try it.
I will be doing some version of number 5 very soon. I love the feed braids because the are easy in and easy out! I’ll more than likely get 3 or 4 at some point during Summer ’17. What is your favorite protective styles? Hit us up on Facebook Facebook.com/mrsphatandnaptural and let us know what you’d like to see next.
What’s good my good people? It’s been a minute since I’ve posted. It’s been 7 weeks, and in blog life that like 2 years lol. Allow my to reintroduce myself.
My name is Uhura. I am the founder of Mrsphatandnaptural, and I’m not a blogger. I’m a resource.
My hiatus started with me trying to find my way through mourning the loss of a good friend. I told myself I needed to take some time to deal with what I was feeling. The days rolled into weeks and here we are! During these weeks I had to reevaluate my direction and revisit my motivation for starting this platform.
Here’s my why: Originally the idea started out of my frustration in trying to find a dress for a friend’s wedding.I felt as if there were limited options for me. Most of the dresses weren’t flattering, and even fewer were fashionably up to date. Everything I found made me feel older, bigger, or out of fashion. I was so discouraged by the process that I ended up not going to the wedding. When I began my transition to natural hair, I struggled with finding the right products, routine, and regime to get my hair healthy and fit for public viewing. I knew I had to do something for other women struggling with these issues.
It is God’s will I have a blog. My objective is first and foremost to honor my purpose and spread the word of God’s Love. Second is combination showcase and information platform for my Sisters. This has been such a blessing to me, I have virtually and physically meet so many people whom have enriched my life. My prayer is that I have done the same for someone else. I hope you love the ride as much as I do. Thank you for being with me.
If there was one thing you could do that would make your natural hair journey easier would you do it? It’s so simple, yet so many naturalistas miss this valued resource in the natural hair community. Better yet, even more don’t even know it exist! The one thing you can do is attend a natural hair meet up. It’s better than buying all the products in the isle, binge watching your favorite YouTube vlogger, and reading blog posts til your eyes are tired.
How many times have you watched a YouTube tutorial, followed all the steps, and didn’t get the desired result? Or read a blog post, ran out and bought the product, followed all the steps only to fail? If this has ever happened to you, you need to go right now and buy a ticket to the next meet up in your area!
Now I could go through a laundry list of reason why natural hair meet ups are a valued resource, but I’m gonna pick my top three reasons.
Face 2 Face Education
Yes that’s correct many of the local bloggers and vloggers, attend, host and guest speak at meet ups. So what’s better than a one on one conversation about your issue? Depending on the topic, and focus of the meet up there may be a panel discussion / Q&A or better yet they may just be mingling and you could ask them your questions personally. Not to mention there are usually tons of fellow Natralistas that have had the same problem you have and are more then willing to share their solutions with you. Very often natural hair meetups have:
Usually one or more full sized product will be included in the swag bags! All thought I’ve never been to one like this, but at the very least you will get samples and valuable discounts towards the purchase of products. I’ve always gotten between 1-5 full sized products as well as samples. This is a low cost way to build your product stash. The investment of the ticket purchase is usually a lot lower then the cost of product you will receive. Also, there are usually great give away sponsors, for prizes, raffles, and games.
And the very last but yet equally as important resource that natural hair meetups provide is access to the your local Curlfriends! There’s no substitute for surrounding yourself with like minded Curlies! They not only provide support and encouragement but also much needed comfort in the journey. I have meet so many wonderful young ladies that I would have never met in any other circumstance. Some are business owners, bloggers, long term naturalists, hair stylist, and so on.
There one last thing I feel is important to mention, you have to support your local natural hair community! That’s how brands decide if they are going to sponsor events, and or sell products in your area. If you don’t have a natural hair community in your area why not start one ?
Are you apart of a local natural hair community? If so give them a shout out in the comments! If not and you are looking to join one, drop a comment and we’d be more that happy to get you connected!
Please follow us on Facebook , Instagram and Twitter for more information, and inspiration!
I just have to say I am still on a high from the experience of basking in the presence of over 150 women representing NJ Curlfriends. We had a ball! I surly hope everyone got more than they expected because I sure did! It was 4 hours of entertainment, education, shopping, food, and dancing! All while celebrating our fellow sisters and a few brothers lol, in a positive encouraging space. What’s better than that?
Speaking of the space, the place was beautiful! For the third year Cabriella from International Hair Design was the ever gracious New Jersey Host for the Montclair NJ leg of this 40 city, 3 country, 3 continent affair. It was held in the Montclair State University Conference Center! Surrounded on two sides with massive window that seem to reach the sky! If you could imagine it was elegantly casual! Yeah that’s it! Although the space is obviously a beautiful state of the art space, the warm nature and inclusive vibe made it ok to let your guard down and bare and share in the wealth of love, information, and kinship.
Thirty-Five Curlfriends purchased VIP admission which gave them early entry,a VIP reception, as well as swag bags sponsored by the INHMD 2016 title sponsors with full sized products from Made Beautiful, Eden Bodyworks, and others!
What’s a movie with out a soundtrack? DJ Twin kept us rocking with his Jersey blend of Club and Soul tunes.
We started the day off with New Jersey based motivation speaker Iamlunic. She set the room a blaze with her energy! Unfortunately, I was so caught up in her speech that I didn’t think to record her!
Next up was Quality Healthcare, who spoke about the heart health. As you must have heard Heart Disease is the leading cause of death for African American Women.
There were 2 demos, first was a hair demo by Scarlet of Wondercurl. She demonstrated a wash n go style using her hair products.
Next was local Naturalist and Holistic Hair Healer Ahava Feliciadad. Her presentation was “natural” is a four letter word, F. R. E. E. She spoke about the freedom of being natural.
There were many vendors selling everything from skinny tea, butters, African fashions, and the most beautiful clutches and earrings!
I was honored to be one of two New Jersey based bloggers to be in the Social Media Lounge. It was Spencer ( Curly Empress) and myself. Curlfriends that came over to our corner were gifted mini hair journals or detangling combs. The first visitors were also gifted a full size bottle leave-in sponsored none other than the maker of my favorite scalp and hair oil Janomi hair products. Thanks to Adrienne of Janomi 2 other Curlfriends also received full sized bottles of the oil! We also had a selfie station set up with our Glam light.
The final segment was a question and answer panel where we got to answer direct questions from Curlfriend regarding, working out with natural hair, hair porosity, dryness, and so on. Missed out on the fun? No worries, I got you! Although INHMD is only once a year, if you are following us on social media👉 ( Instagram,Facbook, Twitter ) we will be sure to keep you updated on all the latest happening!
By this stage in your life, you have probably spent a great deal of energy living up tosomeone else’s idea of you. Your parents, spouses, children, and society’s views and standards all impact how we see ourselves and or how we measure our successes or accomplishments and the lack thereof. I recently celebrated my 42nd birthday, and like most people I always contemplate my position in life as well as my future around my birthday. I am a real number weirdo, meaning I always look up numbers and see what they mean or correspond to. I remember when I turned forty and I looked it up, as I always do, and I was surprised to see all of the biblical references to new beginnings. I found one article that correlated a woman turning forty, to the Israelites making it to the promise land. This was so eye opening to me because I had spent my entire thirties in a mild state of paralysis and depression. Which to me felt like wondering in the wilderness. I had allowed people and events around me to drown out my inner voice.
I was everybody’s something, and my own nothing, but then came my forties. There was something invigorating about believing that turning forty was the beginnings of my new life. I began to pray for God’s presence and direction like never before. It actually took me sometime to remember what it was that I enjoyed. I tasked myself to come up with 10 things that I enjoyed that did not involve serving anyone else. I realized that everything I liked was because of my husband, kids, or father. It took almost an hour but I did it. From that point I began to seek my own happiness first. Not in a selfish way, but in a self-love way. I still have to remind myself that I am too important not to be a priority. Putting myself first is a learned behavior but I’m learning. But what I know for sure is, that I’m worth it!
Here are 5 things every woman needs to have by the time she’s in her forties.
God– A relationship with your creator. I don’t mean just going to church. I mean a constant conversation, prayer, or meditation between you and God. When you are in a relationship, the most powerful tool is communication. Developing your connection with God is very important.
Right look– This is that look you can pull together in an hour, to land your dream job or captivate your dream mate. Know what silhouettes look good on you. Have a “quick face” so even if you are just going to get coffee, you can look pulled together.
Affirmation – By definition the word means emotional support and encouragement. Need I say more?
Cause – A principal, idea or belief that you are willing to work towards insuring its success. I am tempted to say what drives you, because I also believe your “cause” will inspire you into action.
Expertise – That one thing that you do, when you are doing you so well. Even if it’s just a certain dish or a way you pack luggage. You should be able to identify your strengths, and be able to turn it into a profit if necessary.
These words are an acronym for G.R.A.C.E. Which reminds me to give myself grace. Existing by the grace of God, with grace & style, living in his grace and mercy.
Our Four Favorite Drugstore Shampoos To Keep Your Natural Hair Clean And Moisturized
We’ve all had that moment when we realize the Mane [Man] In The Mirror makes you want to Beat It. You know that feeling when you scratch your hair and look under your nails and you see Another Part of [ Me] You. Maybe it is the realization that the miracle product that’s suppose to make your hair feel like butter is actually just Bad! It happens to every natural at some point on this natural hair journey. Being able to run out and pick up the right shampoo is a key to getting through wash day like a Smooth Criminal. Lol ok this is my tribute to the King Of Pop! MJ himself. #virgoseason. By the way my all time favorite song from him is you guessed it, Dirty Diana.
Okay enough about Michael Jackson here are our four favorite shampoos that will have you singing I Just Can’t Stop Loving You to your tresses 😜!
1. Carol’s Daughter Mirabella Plum Sulfate Free Biotin Shampoo- This shampoo is a nice thick consistently. It a thick syrupy liquid, that lathers well and gently cleans your hair. Although the label says its for fine, weak, and very dry hair, it works great for my thick, strong, and very dry hair. It’s full of natural ingredients, and smells great. This is one of my Holly Grail products. If I had to point out a negative it would be the price, it’s not extremely high but it’s also not cheap. This product costs about $11 per bottle, but If you sign up for the email list you’ll get regular emails for discounts from 20-40% off. I usually get more than 1 bottle at a time so it’s well worth the email frequency.
2. Cantu Shea Butter Sulfate Free Cream Shampoo- As said in the title this shampoo is creamy and thick. It’s very moisturizing and can feel it as you apply it to your hair. Froesha just drinks this stuff up. The label states that this product is mild enough for color treated hair. All that said to me is the thing that keeps this product on the top of the list is the price. It sells for $5-9 depending on where you buy it. There may be other products that offer the same result, but I think you’d be hard pressed to find one that could compete with the price point. The only negative I can say about this one is the scent is a little nutty, and I like more fruity scents, it smells perfumed.
3. Mane N Tail Shampoo- This is an old golden staple that I have used on my hair since I was in high school. Although this product is not sulfate free, it has sealers in it that prevent drying. This is an old time shampoo and it performs as such. If you are transitioning to natural, this is the perfect product for your hair. This product is well received on your relaxed as well as natural hair. The only negative I can state is that it’s not sulfate free. The cost for this shampoo is $3-5 depending on the bottle size. The best thing is you can find this shampoo everywhere from local beauty supply, to big box stores, and if you look it’s probably on the shelf at the corner store 😉.
4. Ogx coconut milk Shampoo- This is what I would call a mild protein enriched shampoo. It’s creamy and moisturizing. This shampoo does have sulfates in it, but it’s not drying. This product has egg whites, coconut oil, and coconut milk, so it’s moisturizing and adding protein to your tresses. The consistency is kind of thick and it smells great. Depending on what I’ve used in my hair, I sometimes need a shampoo that’s a little stronger than the sulfate free, and this is it. I keep my hair heavily oil, and sometimes to heavily oiled, but this shampoo works great when I need a little more something to cut the grease. The biggest negatives are, the bottle is shaped weird and it doesn’t fit in my shampoo caddy and the cost varies greatly from store to store anywhere from $6-12 and to me that’s too much of a wide range.
Now just in case you’ve already stocked up on some less then desirable shampoos no need to fret. Try mixing your so-so shampoo with a great conditioner at a 50/50 ratio. This will help Moisturize your hair, and if you have a half bad conditioner, use it as a pre-poo.
What are some of your favorite shampoos? Or maybe you have some home fixes that work for you? Please comment below. I hope you found this post helpful and a hope my suggestions have your hair looking as beautiful as a Libertarian Girl! 😜