Yes, it’s finally starting to feel like Fall! So you know what that means, the best of the best in fashion! Only Fall allows us to rock our cutest wears layered upon layer. This Fall one of the things your going to see is daytime sequins. Who knew you could rock a sequin dress with almost knee boots 😜 and an Army coat? Well me of course! It’s the ultimate pretty tomboy.
You will see these glitter bombs of sequins on everything, from jeans to sweaters, and yes even on a camouflage dress!
In the spirit of too much is never enough, I went ahead and styled the sequined dress from Ashley Stewart, with some slouch boots, and an Army coat which I got from Lane Bryant. I picked the Steve Madden Camo tote up over the summer on one of my Thrifty Treasure Hunts from Plato’s Closet.
The slouch boots and the Army coat gives the dress just the street cred it needs! If needed I can also style the dress with some tights and pumps for work, or take it all the way to the gutter with some combat boots!
So, I actually wore this same look to church with out the Army coat. I must admit, I love shinny things! I am loving this glitter bomb, daytime sequins trend! Are you feeling it? How are you going to rock it? Or if you are not feeling it, tell us why? Leave a comment and let know! Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more Phattystyle!
Talk to you later, but until then keep on shining! ✨
I remember facing my first summer with natural hair. The thought of sweaty, nappy, unruly hair was the vision I had! I was so used to having relaxed hair, I had no idea what I was going to do. Little did I know that summer was my hair’s best growth season. All I had to do was follow a few easy tips, and this lazy natural was on her way to an easy growth spurt!
Now over the years I’ve added a few more, but here are my Summertime hair care tips to maximize your growth season!
1. Clean Time In Between Time: Keeping your hair clean, and moisturized. This is my number one hair tip. Even if you don’t wash it every week, do a quick Cowash in between your wash sessions.
2. Get Down To The Root Of It: Your hair grows directly from your scalp, so it is important to keep your scalp clean and healthy and free from debris. A healthy scalp is probably one of the most underrated necessities for healthy and or long hair.
3. Let Go Of What’s Not Serving You: Get a fresh trim. Even if you only trim once a year, make it a summer trim. While your hair is growing you don’t want it to be stunted by those dead ends. They are useless!
4. Wet Your Whistle: Drink plenty of water! Very often the summer is dry and hot, so you want to make sure you drink plenty of water. By staying hydrated you are also giving your hair hydration.
5. Aloe There Honey: Use humectants to increase the moisture in your hair. I love natural humectants such as aloe Vera juice, and honey. You can add the aloe vera juice to your spray bottle and spritz your hair at night before bed. Or add some honey to your conditioner. This will add softness and shine like you wouldn’t believe.
6. Soak & Seal: By soaking your hair with clear water and sealing with your favorite oil before swimming, you limit the amount of chlorine or salt water that your hair will absorb. Even though this is a no brainer, I’m just gonna say it anyway wash and condition after swimming alright.
7. Keep It Moving: Get out and get some sun. Go for a walk, or go to a fair or carnival and walk around. The circulation will increase blood flow and encourage healthy hair growth.
8. Style With Ease: Employ protect styles, and easy pony tails and buns. The less pulling the better. If you’re ever going to try a wash n go, this is the time! Layer that product on and let it ride!
9. Don’t Be A Hot Head: It’s impossible to keep your hair healthy if you are burning it out. This means the sun too. If you are going to be out in the hot sun for prolonged periods, make sure you cover your head or use a protective product. Just as you have to protect your skin, your hair needs protection as well.
10. Embrace The Ohm! : This is so underrated! Let the easy breezy summer feel sink in! Enjoy the warm weather. Go to the movies, the music festival, hit as many street fairs as you can fit in. Believe you me, you tresses feel the stresses!
These are our basic Summer time tips to make sure you have happy, healthy, fluffy summer hair! Now go forth and play and slay all day!
As we left 2016, I couldn’t help but notice all of the references, posts, and comments on how bad the year was for a lot of people. I even saw some uber talented individuals made an actual horror movie trailer of all the headlines. It was hilarious! However this only further proves my point that so many people are feeling dispaire. To use the words of our current FLOTUS ” We are feeling what not having hope feels like” . But please let me encourage you don’t get “Trumped Up”. There is always hope. As long as we are here among the living, it is our duty to make everyday the best day, and be grateful for the opportunity to do so.
I’m not saying we won’t have bad days. I’m just saying don’t stay in the dark places too long! As for me, I am claiming 2017 the year I live with purpose. I believe in my magic! Are you with me?
Here are five ways you can speak life into your new year!
You become what you say about yourself. So keep it positive. This is something we’ve all heard all our lives. You know, if you don’t have something nice to say don’t say it at all. Even in scripture ” For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of”. So fill your heart with good words. Sometimes I print my favorite quotes and hang them in places where I can see them when I need encouragement. I have them in my car, around my house, and oh boy do I have them around my office at work. Lol that’s a whole other story 😁. I also keep my vision board posted by my mirror and it is my screen saver on my phone. It reminds me to keep the good vibes.
2. Hold Your Thoughts Captive
Be intentional with your thoughts. I’ll be the first one to say, this is hard! But it’s so necessary. You can’t let the negative talk begin. When you feel the negatity taking over, redirect your thoughts. If you like music, this is a perfect time to create a playlist. Play those songs when you know you need a pick me up. If you have a favorite motivational speaker or podcast hit play and get it into your head. Again the quotes, and words of affirmation come in handy here as well. I once had a difficult coworker that I had to deal with everyday. Someone gave me a workplace prayer, which I hung on the wall right behind my monitor, so I read it all day everyday. It helped me to be mindful of my reactions to her aggressive behavior. Without my reaction she had no fuel. Eventually she stopped her behavior with me and moved on to another coworker which got her fired.
3. Surround Yourself With Good People
Even if the people around you don’t understand what you are trying to do, as long as the don’t try to project their fears on you, they are good people. Sometimes people are so use to being negative, and gossiping, and talking bad about people that they don’t see anything wrong with it. Stay away from this! My dad use to say, if you bring a bone you’ll carry a bone. In other words the same person who’s talking negatively with you will do the same about you.
Like Beyoncé said,” I’m feeling myself ” sometimes you just have to feel you own self! BT dubs have you seen Insecure AF on HBO,? I love the way Issa raps to herself in the mirror! Lol I’m not saying you have to break out your rhyme book, but you can stand in the mirror and tell yourself how beautiful, smart, and wonderful you are. I saw an old clip of Jay Z on Hot 97, saying how his uncle told him he’d never sell a million records, and he didn’t believe him. He knew he’d sell a million records and that’s all that mattered.
5. Do Your Best
This one doesn’t take much explaining.Go the extra mile! Work at your best, and you’ll yeild the best results.
With the hustle and bustle of the holiday season upon us, we have to be careful to make time to keep ourselves spiritual strong. Sometimes we women loose ourselves trying to meet all the needs of those around us. We serve our husbands, children, bosses, and communities and we forget or are just too tired to serve ourselves. I know for me, doing things for myself makes me feel a little guilty at times. But when the guilt starts to seep in, I just remember who I am. I remember that I can do anything and everything I decide to do. My grandmother use to say ” you just have to set your mind to it”
You do know you are what dreams are made of right? You are magic! You have that thing that only you have that makes you special! That’s your magic! You can’t let fear, doubt, guilt, are anything else take your magic.
I love words of affirmation, so when I found this poem It reminded me of the beauty I posses. Everyone should feel this way about themselves.
My Pledge of Allegiance to Me
Written by Letitia L. Hodge
There’s more to me than the human eye can see.
I’m a woman of purpose and destiny.
A perfect design, I’m special and unique.
I won’t be identified by the parts that make
up my physique.
My beauty is not defined by my skin or my hair
and my soul has more value than
the clothes that I wear.
I’m not a symbol of pleasure or sex appeal;
I have the natural ability to comfort
and the power to heal.
When God made me, He created a gem
because He fashioned me in the likeness of Him.
I refuse to do anything that will put God to shame.
I deserve to be treated with reverence
and called by my name.
I can’t be purchased or sold at any price
because I’ve already been bought and paid
for by the precious blood of Christ!
I praise You because I am fearfully and
Ya feel me? Better yet do you feel yourself? Stay in your magic and Be blessed💋
If there was one thing you could do that would make your natural hair journey easier would you do it? It’s so simple, yet so many naturalistas miss this valued resource in the natural hair community. Better yet, even more don’t even know it exist! The one thing you can do is attend a natural hair meet up. It’s better than buying all the products in the isle, binge watching your favorite YouTube vlogger, and reading blog posts til your eyes are tired.
How many times have you watched a YouTube tutorial, followed all the steps, and didn’t get the desired result? Or read a blog post, ran out and bought the product, followed all the steps only to fail? If this has ever happened to you, you need to go right now and buy a ticket to the next meet up in your area!
Now I could go through a laundry list of reason why natural hair meet ups are a valued resource, but I’m gonna pick my top three reasons.
Face 2 Face Education
Yes that’s correct many of the local bloggers and vloggers, attend, host and guest speak at meet ups. So what’s better than a one on one conversation about your issue? Depending on the topic, and focus of the meet up there may be a panel discussion / Q&A or better yet they may just be mingling and you could ask them your questions personally. Not to mention there are usually tons of fellow Natralistas that have had the same problem you have and are more then willing to share their solutions with you. Very often natural hair meetups have:
Usually one or more full sized product will be included in the swag bags! All thought I’ve never been to one like this, but at the very least you will get samples and valuable discounts towards the purchase of products. I’ve always gotten between 1-5 full sized products as well as samples. This is a low cost way to build your product stash. The investment of the ticket purchase is usually a lot lower then the cost of product you will receive. Also, there are usually great give away sponsors, for prizes, raffles, and games.
And the very last but yet equally as important resource that natural hair meetups provide is access to the your local Curlfriends! There’s no substitute for surrounding yourself with like minded Curlies! They not only provide support and encouragement but also much needed comfort in the journey. I have meet so many wonderful young ladies that I would have never met in any other circumstance. Some are business owners, bloggers, long term naturalists, hair stylist, and so on.
There one last thing I feel is important to mention, you have to support your local natural hair community! That’s how brands decide if they are going to sponsor events, and or sell products in your area. If you don’t have a natural hair community in your area why not start one ?
Are you apart of a local natural hair community? If so give them a shout out in the comments! If not and you are looking to join one, drop a comment and we’d be more that happy to get you connected!
Please follow us on Facebook , Instagram and Twitter for more information, and inspiration!
It’s no secret that hair sheds more in the colder temps of winter, and to top all it off; the cold air will freeze the water on your tresses and snap them right off! One of the biggest factors is dryness,which is caused by inadequate protection from the cold air. This is what I like to call the “winter fall off”. In urban slang, to “fall off” means you are not looking your best. If you are slipping, one would say he or she “fell off”. This term is also literal, your hair will Fall Off your head! This is why so many people do those protective style challenges in the colder months.
Here are 6 products that get the Mrsphatandnaptural lazy natural stamp of approval to combat the “Winter Fall Off”.
All of these products can be found at your local beauty supply or drug store hair care isle:
1. Sheamoisture Superfruit Complex 10 n 1 Renewal System- Hair and Scalp Serum. This little baby here is the truth! I was introduced to this item in one of my swag bags from a Kinks n Drinks event given by Tribe Called Curl. As usual I had the bottle for months and never touched it. But as I searched for a proper winter hair regimen I decided to give it a try. Oh was I pleased! I’ll start with the down side, it’s in a little glass bottle with a dropper and I must have spilled it fifty – leven times! Other than that it works wonders, I mostly used it as a pre poo, but I’ve also run a few drops through my hair as moisturizer during daily styling. It smells heavenly, and the scent lasts all day!
2. Sheamoisture Superfruit Complex 10 n 1 Renewal System- Shampoo & Conditioner with Marula Oil & Biotin. I love together. The shampoo lathers well, and cleanses very good with out stripping the hair. Down side, it’s not that thick out of the bottle, so I had to get use to not wasting it as I poured it into my hands. The conditioner is also awesome, it has great slip, and does a good job adding softness to my hair.
3. NuNaat- Garlic Magic Leave In. Yes garlic, no it does not smell like garlic! I was introduced to this in my Return Of The Curls swag bag. I wrote to them and they sent me the entire Garlic Magic line. Although I didn’t care for the other products, I love the Leave in! It softened my hair and kept it moisturized and manageable. I used it as my first step in my LOC Method (Leave in, Oil, Cream)
4. Tropic Isle Living- Jamaican Black Castor Oil. This is the second step in my LOC Method. What can I say, it woks! No secrets or tricks here. Just rub it on your edges and ends to seal and protect them. I also massage my edges and nape area with a mixture of 1/3 JBCO, 1/3 Olive Oil, 1/3 grape seed oil as a mid week refresher at night. The only draw back is the smell is strong but not stinky. There are other scented versions but I haven’t tried them.
5. Carols Daughter- Hair Milk Original Leave In Moisturizer. This is my third step for my LOC (Leave in, Oil, Cream) Method. This product is thick enough to be used as a cream although it’s labeled as a Leave In. It has a more creamy consistency then moist leave ins and even works as a heat protectant when I blow dry my hair. I also use this product for daily maintenance. It doesn’t sit on my hair and weight it down. I have no down side to say about this product, but the words rubbed off the bottle.
6. Shea Moisture Raw Sheabutter Extra-Moisture Detangler- Well technically this is number seven because I counted the shampoo and conditioner as 1 entry, but any way. I got this from my Hairstory Swaportunity that I had in October. As a Detangler I didn’t care for it. The feel is very slippery and I didn’t like it. But one of my friends told my she uses it as a leave in, and her hair always looks bomb. So, I decided to give it a shot on my twists. I loved it! It left my hair shinny and feeling soft and moist for days. It’s heavy the first night but by morning my twits looked shinny and healthy!
As you can see the way you use the products are just as important as the products you use.
We’d love to hear from you! Drop us a comment below, or if your not following us on social media you should be! What are some of the products you’re using this winter? Have you ever tried any of these products? Let us know what you’re loving or not loving this winter!
As the kitchen beautician would “Here’s to more hair” toot a loo!
Have you ever heard the saying, “imitation is the sincerest form of flattery” ? Well, there’s another side to this coin. Duplication is the surest way to fail. In this era of social media we are constantly bombarded with images, ads, and words that tailor our thinking one way or another. Although we have begun to tout this mantra of self-love and body acceptance, it’s no secret that everyone wants to be like someone. It’s human nature to imitate and implement the things we love about someone or something else in our own life.
In fact as followers of Christ we are charged to live a life that can be imitated by others. We are to be Christlike as Christ imitates The Father to be Godlike. The bible says, “In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.” Matthew ??chapter and verse
The real danger comes from trying to duplicate others actions, looks and or life.
“Why Be A Copy When You Were Born Original” by Oscar Wilde
Follow me now, this relationship with trying duplicate others is a slippery slope.
For one, it’s not authentic and you will not be able to keep it up.
For two, when you can no longer keep up the charade it will cause feelings of defeat.
For three, people can tell when you are not real.
Now I’m not saying that we shouldn’t look to others for inspiration, but we need to apply these thing to our life as it fits us. I believe we need examples of how to be, as well examples of how not to be!
I remember the older women always saying
“ Take It Home and Make It Look Like You”.
In this picture I was inspired by ChiChi from Supple Chic. I could have gone out and had a skirt like hers made or tried to buy one, but instead I went to my closet and found this plaid pencil skirt that I got from Torrid. In fact the cut of that skirt may have been a little easier on my mid section lol.
At 5’3 and well over what is considered an acceptable weight, it’s no question that I have to be creative when dressing my body. My legs and hips are one of those features that I love about my body, so for me pencil skirts give me the curvy longer look that I prefer. I choose to wear my shirt on the outside because, to me it looks and feels better on the area (tummy time) that I don’t care for.
So, do look to others for inspiration. Do not try to duplicate them. While they say “For every one idea you have, three other people have it at the same time” but nobody has your version of it!
Remmber be the best you that you can be! Because everyone else is taken!
With the coming of every new year, we make resolutions, declarations, commitments or what ever you want to call them. Very often we don’t even keep them for one week. The biggest reason is because we have these unrealistic unnatural goals, but we are not committing to the process. So Naturally we FAIL!
What if we were to take a more natural approach to these goals? Here’s what I mean. If you have made a goal to exercise every morning, but yet you have trouble getting up in the morning, more than likely you will not accomplish this goal easily. However if you tend to stay up later, or you religiously watch your favorite TV program, why not make a goal to work out during the commercials, or before you go to bed? This is more natural to you.
Likewise if you have a financial goal, but you are an impulse spender, plan your trip to the store, and only take enough cash to buy what’s in the plan. Need I say leave your card at home!
The standard saying is “it takes 21 times to make a habit”
but it also takes 21 times to change a behavior. If you have a particular habit that you want to stop, why not replace that motion with a similar motion just a better one. I remember when my Father was trying to stop smoking after 35 years and up to 2 1/2 packs a day. He found that putting a piece of gum in his mouth was the same motion and filled the urge. Surprisingly after about 15 days the urge to have a cigarette went away. The natural pattern was still the same, he just changed the product.
For me, one of my personal goals is to grind as hard for my own dreams as I do for others. I am naturally a pleaser. This one isn’t as easy, but I’m learning to see my success as an inspiration to please others with the information I give. Thereby serving my cause as well as my natural desire to help others.
So, as the new year comes in and you begin to make plans for living a better life, keep your natural tendencies in perspective. Use them to your advantage.
So as we leave 2015 and you start to evaluate your year and make plans for your future remember to just act natural.
Ahh the Fall Season is upon us. Fall is my favorite time of year. All things Fall seem warm and comfy. As the leaves start to turn, and the temperature starts to cool down layers are the key to making the best of this transition. Layering your clothes as well as layering product into your hair.
We are loving wool blend Wraps, and sweater Shawls, and Ponchos. This is and easy addition to update your look without breaking the bank.
Wide leg jeans are back! If you are like me and have thighs “thicker than honey” this is a win for you. With the wider leg, it allows for a better fit on the thigh.
As a Plus Size Fashionista I am very excited that the chunky heel is in! There’s nothing worst the trying to balance an elephant on a tea cup! Lol this is what some heels feel like to me.😂 Cross Body Bags, Long Necklaces, and Tassels will take you full on Boho Fall Style!
As for your hair, hopefully you are sealing your hair with the LOC Method, especially if you have natural hair. This is a layering of products that helps to seal the moisture into your hair. It’s an acronym for (L) Leave in or Liquid (O) Oil or in the fall a Butter works best and (C) is Cream or your styler. As the temps drop be sure to replace your oil with great hair butter such as Keirenea Honey Dipped Hair and Body Butter ( click here Keirenea.com ). The butters stand up to the cooler weather better than the oils.
For this look I just brushed my hair up and smoothed the sides with the Honey Dipped Butter, and tied it up with an old knee high. Yes I used a knee high. The flexibility of being able to tie it at the size I want along with the stretch of the fabric works best for me.
My wide leg jeans came from my closet, but I have found a similar items ( click here for similar) . My accessories are all Plato’s Closet scores for $45 I got these Michael Kors Platform Heels (click here for similar). The Cross Body Bag ( click here for similar), and the Tassle Necklace ( similar), The wrap is from Ashley Stewart ( click here for similar) . Just for you we have curated a Fall Forward Store where you can get all your items in one place.
Remember to embrace the natural beauty of my most favorite season! If these tips and trends or for you please follow us on social media, we are on Instagram – mrsphatandnaptural, Facebook – mrsphatandnaptural.com and Twitter – mrsphatandnap, and if you like what we do please comment. Be easy and Fall with style.
Our Four Favorite Drugstore Shampoos To Keep Your Natural Hair Clean And Moisturized
We’ve all had that moment when we realize the Mane [Man] In The Mirror makes you want to Beat It. You know that feeling when you scratch your hair and look under your nails and you see Another Part of [ Me] You. Maybe it is the realization that the miracle product that’s suppose to make your hair feel like butter is actually just Bad! It happens to every natural at some point on this natural hair journey. Being able to run out and pick up the right shampoo is a key to getting through wash day like a Smooth Criminal. Lol ok this is my tribute to the King Of Pop! MJ himself. #virgoseason. By the way my all time favorite song from him is you guessed it, Dirty Diana.
Okay enough about Michael Jackson here are our four favorite shampoos that will have you singing I Just Can’t Stop Loving You to your tresses 😜!
1. Carol’s Daughter Mirabella Plum Sulfate Free Biotin Shampoo- This shampoo is a nice thick consistently. It a thick syrupy liquid, that lathers well and gently cleans your hair. Although the label says its for fine, weak, and very dry hair, it works great for my thick, strong, and very dry hair. It’s full of natural ingredients, and smells great. This is one of my Holly Grail products. If I had to point out a negative it would be the price, it’s not extremely high but it’s also not cheap. This product costs about $11 per bottle, but If you sign up for the email list you’ll get regular emails for discounts from 20-40% off. I usually get more than 1 bottle at a time so it’s well worth the email frequency.
2. Cantu Shea Butter Sulfate Free Cream Shampoo- As said in the title this shampoo is creamy and thick. It’s very moisturizing and can feel it as you apply it to your hair. Froesha just drinks this stuff up. The label states that this product is mild enough for color treated hair. All that said to me is the thing that keeps this product on the top of the list is the price. It sells for $5-9 depending on where you buy it. There may be other products that offer the same result, but I think you’d be hard pressed to find one that could compete with the price point. The only negative I can say about this one is the scent is a little nutty, and I like more fruity scents, it smells perfumed.
3. Mane N Tail Shampoo- This is an old golden staple that I have used on my hair since I was in high school. Although this product is not sulfate free, it has sealers in it that prevent drying. This is an old time shampoo and it performs as such. If you are transitioning to natural, this is the perfect product for your hair. This product is well received on your relaxed as well as natural hair. The only negative I can state is that it’s not sulfate free. The cost for this shampoo is $3-5 depending on the bottle size. The best thing is you can find this shampoo everywhere from local beauty supply, to big box stores, and if you look it’s probably on the shelf at the corner store 😉.
4. Ogx coconut milk Shampoo- This is what I would call a mild protein enriched shampoo. It’s creamy and moisturizing. This shampoo does have sulfates in it, but it’s not drying. This product has egg whites, coconut oil, and coconut milk, so it’s moisturizing and adding protein to your tresses. The consistency is kind of thick and it smells great. Depending on what I’ve used in my hair, I sometimes need a shampoo that’s a little stronger than the sulfate free, and this is it. I keep my hair heavily oil, and sometimes to heavily oiled, but this shampoo works great when I need a little more something to cut the grease. The biggest negatives are, the bottle is shaped weird and it doesn’t fit in my shampoo caddy and the cost varies greatly from store to store anywhere from $6-12 and to me that’s too much of a wide range.
Now just in case you’ve already stocked up on some less then desirable shampoos no need to fret. Try mixing your so-so shampoo with a great conditioner at a 50/50 ratio. This will help Moisturize your hair, and if you have a half bad conditioner, use it as a pre-poo.
What are some of your favorite shampoos? Or maybe you have some home fixes that work for you? Please comment below. I hope you found this post helpful and a hope my suggestions have your hair looking as beautiful as a Libertarian Girl! 😜